Factsheets -

Can they do this to me?

Being bullied at school
Is this discrimination?
Factsheets -

Clash or match?

What if they are older than me?
Long distance loving
Factsheets -

Getting it together - friends, girlfriends, boyfriends

Getting serious - or not
Personal space
How can I make my relationship work?
Factsheets -

Getting through the hard stuff

Surviving sexual assault - (young men)
Surviving sexual assault - (young women)
Factsheets -

Happy families

Where can I go for help with getting along with my family?
Factsheets -

Love or creepy?

Scary dates
Factsheets -

Male and female

Challenge the old ways
Factsheets -

Playing safe online

Grossing me out
Factsheets -

What can I do about an abusive relationship?

Factsheets -

When is it not okay?

Am I being abusive?
What about child abuse?
Factsheets -

Who can help?

If you are in danger call 000 or
tell someone you can trust

If you would just like to talk to
someone, help is at your fingertips ...

All the services below are available and free* for young people to use.
All the 1800 numbers operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The person you speak to will be an experienced counsellor, not the police, not a government department.
You will not have to give your name.

* Please note that all mobile phone calls made from within Australia to Kids Helpline—using Optus (including Virgin), Vodafone, and Telstra—and 1800 Respect—using Telstra—are now free.

Relationship Advice

Are you having problems with a friend, partner or family member or would you just like to talk to someone about where to "draw the line"?

Call 1800 MYLINE (1800 695 463)
or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800.

Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800

Online Safety and Cyberbullying

Are you being bullied online or has something happened online that makes you feel uncomfortable, scared or sad?

Call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800
or go to the Kids Helpline online
counselling service

Relationship Violence

Are you or have you been:

  • scared of someone hurting you?
  • sexually assaulted?
  • concerned about violence in a relationship with a friend, partner or family member?

Call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) or
talk to a counsellor online.

Crisis Support, Suicide and Mental Health

If you would like to talk to someone about anxiety, depression, loneliness, suicidal thoughts or attempts:

Call Lifeline on 13 11 14

To find out how to report cyberbullying, offensive content, scams or online abuse, or just find out more about cybersafety, check out the Cybersmart website.

You can also download the Cybersafety Help Button to your computer for help and advice on a range of online risks including cyberbullying, unwanted contact, scams and fraud, and offensive or inappropriate material.

Legal rights and responsibilities

If you want some legal information you can go to the Lawstuff website and search in your state or territory. If you can't find what you want, you can send a legal question to Lawmail. Lawyers will reply to your message as quickly as possible, usually within 6 days.

Assisted Call Services

For the Translating and Interpreting Service please call 13 14 50. If you are deaf or have a hearing impairment, you can call the National Relay Service on 13 36 77.

Your Questions

Read responses from our expert psychologist, to some of the most commonly faced issues

The questions and answers below on this page help provide advice to others who may be in a similar situation. Please note the advice provided on this page is of a general nature and not specific to any individual or personal circumstance.

Please do not send questions raising urgent issues. If you need help, see our contact details for free counselling services.

The circumstances described in some of the questions below may raise legal issues. We suggest that contact be made with the Police or with a lawyer to find out what assistance or options may be available in these circumstances.

Previous Questions

I have a friend who has an ex who won’t leave her alone and it’s getting worse; he is hurting her physically. I want to stop this from happening but can’t. What do I do?

Your friends’ ex has gone well beyond pestering or stalking, and onto assault: in this case the line’s been shattered. It’s likely that words alone won’t work with this guy, and – as he is now engaging in violent criminal conduct – this could now be a matter for the police. There are a number of avenues your friend can pursue, and this may include activation of Apprehended Violence Orders (or AVO’s). These orders can declare that the ex cannot contact your friend, and also that he may not come within a certain distance of her. This is a matter that the Police and the Courts can assist with. It’s also essential for friends and family to support your friend in this situation. She is already in harms’ way and the more people that are around to support her, the better.

Sometimes people in her circumstances may downplay what is happening – saying it’s not such a big deal and that they can handle it. This could be because they still remember times when their guy seemed caring and gentle with them. However, it is really important they recognise that some people in close relationships start believing they ‘own’ the other person in some way, and cannot handle it when they find they can no longer ‘control’ that other person. Then you see a side to some seemingly ‘nice-guys’ that can be shocking and extremely dangerous. If your friend feels unsafe, she should call the police, and stick close to supportive family and friends.

More information is available from the sources below.

The following numbers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for advice and information:

NSW: 1800 656 46
VIC: 1800 015 188 / 9373 0123
QLD: 1800 811 811
WA: 1800 007 339 / 9223 118
SA: 1800 800 098
TAS: 1800 608 122 / 6233 2529
ACT: (02) 6280 0900
NT: 1800 019 116

National Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Confidential Helpline: 1800 737 732;

Telephone advice and support can also be accessed from the following services or their websites:

Crisis services & Hotlines: www.aifs.gov.au/nch/resources/crisis.html
Women’s Legal Services: www.nwjc.org.au/wlsn/index.htm

ACT: Women's Information and Referral Centre
NSW: Violence Prevention Coordination Unit
NT: Domestic and Personal Violence Protection Unit counselling services
: Domestic Violence Services - Regional Services
SA: Women’s Information Service
VIC: Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria (DVRCV)
TAS: Women Tasmania
WA: Department of Communities

Have your say

Is it okay to judge a girl by the way she dresses?

For sureNo way

View poll results

Suggest something

Suggest a poll question or forum topic here.

Add your idea

Subscribe for updates

Stay up to date with The Line and be the first to know about things like real stories, music updates and events.